Matthew 19:14

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Christian Book Store and Jesus

So yesterday I had a little time between meetings and decided to go check out the 75% off Christmas stuff at the Christian bookstore. I was walking through the store and a man walked up to me and asked me a question. I answered and continued to look. He stuck around for a minute talking about denominations and about beliefs. Then I took a deeper look at him and realized this man hadn't showered in awhile. His clothes were dirty and the ends of his pants were rough. He had a distinct smell to him. The smell of late night walks in the cold wind and sleeping in places that we wouldn't want to even see. I looked at his coat and saw it had stains all over it. His beard was dirty and covered up the fact that it is usually pure white. His cheeks were burnt from the cold wind and his nose was red and purple from frost bite. As I peered into his eyes he started talking to me about Jesus. He gave me the best sermon I had ever heard as we stood in the children's section of the Christian bookstore he told me about his fear for the future generations. The ones who haven't even been born yet. The ones that are only a thought in the minds of our young people today. He suggested books to me and even though he only allowed me to say the occasional yes and uh uh I realized that God has sent me this special man. I was reminded of the fact that although right now things are hard for me Jesus is still there. That if we keep Him the focus no matter what our life circumstances are, even if it is living on the streets, that nothing can take our Joy away. As I stood in the Christian bookstore yesterday I saw Jesus and His love in the eyes of a homeless man who was just trying to warm up. He had come in to get warm and to read the word. Something he did often he said. "Because even I could become bitter and prideful if I don't keep God's Word at the for front of my life." What awesome words to hear from a man who was wearing the weight of the world on his sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment