Matthew 19:14

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Friday, February 26, 2010

Sermon 4 Kids - Weekend Edition :)

Tomorrow's Tears

Bible Reading: Job 1:1-3, 13-21; 3:25; Matthew 6:33-34

Mom found Becca crying in the backyard, watching her dog Blondie paw at leaves in the flower bed. "What's the matter, honey?" asked Mom.

"I don't want Blondie to get sick again," Becca whimpered. "I know the vet took off that spot on her skin, but he said it could come back."

"It could, but maybe it won't," said Mom. "It may never come back."

"If she dies, I'm going to miss her," said Becca. "I don't want Blondie to die."

"Of course you don't," comforted Mom, offering Becca a tissue. "In the meantime, you're not enjoying her. You're just as sad now as you will be if she dies." Mom paused, then added, "Do you remember what happened to Job?"

"Job?" asked Becca. "You mean the man in the Bible?"

"Yes," said Mom. "He had plenty to be happy about-big family, lots of money. Then he lost everything. After Job's problems started, he said, 'The thing I greatly feared has come upon me, and what I dreaded has happened to me.'"

"That doesn't make me feel better," whimpered Becca.

"Wait! I have a point." Mom dried a tear from Becca's cheek. "All those years, he had his family with him. He had prosperity and success. But does it sound like he enjoyed it?"

"No," said Becca, petting Blondie's head. "It sounds like he was too worried."

"And did being afraid of losing everything stop it from happening?" asked Mom.

Becca hugged Blondie. "No . . . but what can I do about being sad? It doesn't have an off button."

"No, but God has a solution," said Mom. "It's normal to be concerned, but we have a choice. We can worry, which doesn't help anyway, or we can choose to thank God for the good things we have today-like Blondie. We can talk to Him about troubling things and then trust Him to work them out. Job did that. He continued to love and believe in God."

Mom picked up a Frisbee and shook it in front of the dog. Blondie wagged her tail as Mom threw the Frisbee. "I think she needs a playmate," said Mom.

Becca took off running. "Come on, Blondie!" she called. "I bet I can get to that Frisbee before you do." Blondie quickly caught up with her, and together, they raced across the lawn.

Memorize:

Do not worry about tomorrow. Matthew 6:34

How About You?
Do you worry about what might happen tomorrow? About school? About whether your classmates like you? About moving to the next grade or a new home? Remember, if worry keeps you focused on what might go wrong, you can't enjoy what you have right now. When you start to worry, pray about the problem; talk to your parents about it; and choose to think about the many blessings that are yours today. Thank God for them and enjoy them.

Key Thought of the Day: Enjoy your blessings today

No comments:

Post a Comment